Finding My Customs at NYU

How I constitute my "people" in NYU's large community

The New York City skyline.

NYU Is a Large Schoolhouse...

I am a small-scale-town girl living out her large-urban center dreams. These dreams come with new experiences that I am learning to adapt to—such as learning how to find my community within NYU's pupil body.

NYU is a pretty large school. There are over 25,000 students in the undergraduate student trunk lonely! That number is super intimidating. Existence a office of a community that large can lead to stressful situations, especially if you are new to New York City.

Project OutReach

Prior to my first year on campus, I practical to a summertime program at NYU called Projection OutReach. The plan requires incoming NYU kickoff-twelvemonth students to make it on campus a weekend early. Then, we go around the metropolis learning about volunteer opportunities. The experience was eye-opening, and it was dainty to know a lot of the students at NYU prior to classes starting. I am super grateful for the plan. I learned the subway organization, and I met students from the Class of 2023. Additionally, I received swell communication from upper-level students about classes, the city, and NYU as a whole.

I still talk to my OutReach friends, and it is wonderful to know that there is a community of super passionate students who want to volunteer.

The Community at Tandon

First, I fabricated friends at my own schoolhouse, the Tandon School of Engineering. First-yr students commonly go through an orientation with their "cohort," or group of students they run into with the first week of school every day to make friends.

Gradually, these faces became familiar to me, especially since a lot of us had the same classes. Chemical science, mathematics, physics, and engineering forum were simply a few of the classes I fabricated friends in. In fact, knowing more people at Tandon made the school feel smaller, and it helped me find my customs.

Admissions Ambassador Community

During my first twelvemonth, I discovered an incredible opportunity. Iʼd always wanted to bring together the Admissions Ambassador customs, and I realized they were hiring. There was a flyer for an information session to learn about the job. I was super excited to use and interview. I learned then much from the application process since it was my offset group interview ever. In addition, I met some actually cool people from NYU. We were able to get to know one another in a professional setting, and fifty-fifty though the interview was intimidating at beginning, it was a cool experience.

Through this opportunity, I met many students around NYU, and some from Tandon too! Additionally, I was able to abound my professional network through the ambassador community. The best part virtually the customs is the people and getting to know what theyʼre passionate most. Iʼve learned about interesting minors, cool art projects, and even students who have done such fascinating research abroad!

The newly hired Admissions Ambassadors.
NYU Admissions Ambassadors at the New Hire Mixer in Dec.

Greek Life!

During my sophomore year, I rushed a multicultural sorority called Delta Kappa Delta (DKD). It is a Southward Asian interest, not sectional, sorority at NYU, and I was able to meet a lot of South Asian girls who I am shut to. DKD is a service-based sorority, which means we spend a lot of our time volunteering for our philanthropic focus, kid corruption prevention and awareness.

The rushing procedure for Delta Kappa Delta was a very social feel. I met a lot of the sisters, played games, volunteered nigh, and took weekly quizzes. Overall, information technology was a lot of fun, and I made a lot of memories with my associate class. Equally a sorority, weʼve had socials and watched movies and TV shows together. Also, weʼve gotten to know each other over time, even if Zoom has become our daily routine. Overall, information technology is a great way to concord written report sessions and to de-stress from classes.

Being a part of a sorority is a fun feel. I always have someone who is willing to hang out or become to a park for fun. Although planning big socials takes some time, itʼs definitely worth it!

Three girls sitting together at a table.
Some of my sorority sisters whom I met up with recently!